Q: How important is contractor licensing in New Mexico?

A: Licensed contractors are required to either pass a business & law exam or complete a business & law course. In addition, depending on the trade, 2-4 years of work experience is required to obtain a license.


Q: Does Glikas Enterprises LLC carry a valid contracting license?

A: Any residential or commercial construction work in the state of New Mexico requires a licensed contractor. This includes general construction work, electrical, mechanical and plumbing and LP gas. New Mexico issues contractor licenses in approxamitly 100 seperate categories.

Glikas Enterprises LLC currently holds license NM367814 (GB98, MM01, MM02)


Q: Does my contractor have insurance?

A: Licensed contractors in New Mexico are required to carry an active workers' compensation insurance policy. State law does require contractors to carry general liability insurance, but hiring contractors who do have an active policy is highly recommended. Request a copy of each insurance certificate before any work begins.

Glikas Enterprises LLC holds worker's compensation and builders risk insurance policies with American Hallmark.


Q: Are Licensed Contractors bonded?

A: Licensed contractors in New Mexico must obtain a surety bond to before performing any residential work. Homeowners can file a claim against this bond in the event of faulty workmanship, breach of contract, or damages to their property during the contracted construction.

Glikas Enterprises LLC is bonded in New Mexico with American Hallmark.


Q: What are the steps to getting bids for my project?

A: Before hiring a contractor in New Mexico, be sure to get a detailed bid. Quality contractors will take the time to explain their budget proposal and help guide you through the estimate process. Be wary of an abnormally low bid, they are not worth the risk. These under-priced projects often do not end well for the homeowner. Choose a contractor you trust and can clearly communicate with.  Glikas Enterprises will provide a detailed bid, explain your project and prepare a written contract that protects both parties before beginning any work.  All aspects of your job will be thoroughly explained and completed to your satisfaction.


Q: Which permits are needed for a construction project?

A: The building inspection department, office of planning and zoning, or department of permits in your community will have a list of permits and inspections related to building and zoning codes for new construction or remodeling.


Q: Can I make a change to the project once work has begun?

A: It depends on the type of change and when the request occurs, but typically you can do this. Please note that such changes can greatly impact the cost.


Q: What alterations might be considered new construction?  

  • Additions to existing improvements;

  • Converting an unfinished basement or attic into a living area;

  • Adding a garage, sun room, enclosed patio, or elevator;

  • Adding a swimming pool, spa, or sauna; or a patio or deck;

  • Increasing the square footage of a home;

  • Demolition of an existing structure;

  • Bathroom – the addition of one, or structural changes, upgrading of plumbing and/or electrical systems, changing the floor plan, increasing the size, replacing cabinets, counter tops, flooring or fixtures with upgraded material and finishes;

  • Kitchen – structural changes, upgrading of plumbing and/or electrical systems, changing the floor plan, increasing the size, replacing cabinets, counter tops, flooring or built-in appliances with upgraded material and finishes

Q:  What are some other alterations that are not considered new construction?

    Replacement of:

  • Central heating and cooling system, or replacement of wall or floor heating with baseboard heaters;

  • Galvanized waterlines with copper or plastic waterlines;

  • Old bathroom and kitchen fixtures with modern fixtures;

  • Wood-framed windows with energy efficient metal or aluminum frames;

  • Dry rot or termite damaged joists, studs, rafters, stairway, and/or exterior siding;

  • Molding strips, plaster, drywall, and wall paneling with similar substitute materials;

  • Wall or floor coverings;

  • Kitchen or bathroom cabinets, countertops, flooring or fixtures, built-in appliances with items of similar quality;

  • An electrical fuse box with circuit breakers; or;

  • Doors, windows, stairs, fences or decks or repairing thereof.